Hello from NH - My 87 BMW 325e: a flood carís second chance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hello from NH - My 87 BMW 325e: a flood carís second chance

Post by n0m4d on February 22nd 2012, 2:34 pm

I have been hanging around here for some time planning out the rolled on job that I am now just starting. I wanted to say Hi and share my progress with everyone.

In July I picked up what was supposed to be an 87 eta that just needed a couple weekends of wrenching and tuning and maybe some paint to be a decent daily driver. I built an e30 for LeMons a couple years ago and have since accumulated a pile of parts and know-how so it seemed to make sense. At that time all I knew was it came from Hawaii (was rust free), itís inspection sticker was 4 years old and it had a horrible re-paint job.

As I began working on it I discovered it was clearly a food victim and the PO drove it like a Camry, just oil, fuel and necessary repairs. Someone even replaced the fuel filter with a straight piece of fuel line. Carfax reported it being registered in Florida not Hawaii. Because it wasnít rotten and the engine had good compression I decided to just give it a mechanical overhaul and catch it up on preventative maintenance. It runs pretty good now, at least enough to demonstrate it's mechanically sound. Here are some pictures from when I brought it home:

I just now am getting started on the body. I am starting a project thread where I will update there.

Last edited by n0m4d on February 22nd 2012, 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
n0m4d
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 53
Job/hobbies : QA Test Dev, Autodesk, Inc.
Project : 1987 BMW 325
Registration date : 2011-09-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hello from NH - My 87 BMW 325e: a flood carís second chance

Post by n0m4d on February 22nd 2012, 3:01 pm

I started my project thread here:

http://rolledon.forummotion.com/t988-1987-bmw-325e-flood-car-rehab#11921

I plan on posting plenty of pics as I work Very Happy .
n0m4d
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RoboGeek on February 26th 2012, 2:48 pm

looks like a nice project.. flood cars are 50/50 sometimes, but if they dry them fast enough and the electrical/mechanicals are ok they can last for years. Just hard to retitle and sell in some states
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by n0m4d on March 6th 2012, 9:55 am

Thanks, its coming along. If I had known it was a flood car I may have thought twice. Who am I kidding, I would have just talked him down another $100 Wink . It didn't show in the carfax so I don't think anyone made a claim on it I just figured it out as I was working on it. So far the electrical gremlins have been mostly lighting and horn. When working on the engine I checked/cleaned every connector I come across and added some dielectric grease. I also replaced all the fuses with fresh ones. I am swapping the dash with a crack free one along with most of the rest of the interior and plan to hit any connectors I come across with dielectric grease as well.
n0m4d
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top