'98 GMC

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'98 GMC

Post by vervepipes on February 26th 2012, 8:55 pm

I've introduced myself in the introduction forum, and here is where I'll be logging my progress. To start off again, here is my truck as I got it:

And with a few decals removed (they are all off now) and the temporary grille:

Now I've decided that I'm installing a sunroof in the truck, so the overhead console has been sold, as well as my spare overhead console from a parts truck, and I've purchased a sleeper cab for the truck at a low price of $60 because it desperately needs paint (perfect for me!)! The sleeper will allow me to try out rolling on paint without doing it right on my truck, just gotta try to remove the back window without destroying it (my project is self funding, so I want to be able to sell the glass). Pics of the sleeper will come after I pick it up.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2012-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: '98 GMC

Post by RoboGeek on February 26th 2012, 10:03 pm

whats that white stuff on the ground... lol

Thats should be a fun project
RoboGeek
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 429
Job/hobbies : Owner/Business Network Solutions
Project : 93 Cavalier
Registration date : 2009-05-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Hillbilly on February 27th 2012, 6:48 am

Welcome. You made me think of this:
Tommy Hillbilly
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 598
Project : 1988 Mustang GT convertible
Registration date : 2010-10-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on February 27th 2012, 1:37 pm

Not quite that kind of sleeper although that would be sweet to have
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on February 28th 2012, 3:13 pm

Here's a quick question, will a gallon be enough for such a large project, or should I buy a few quarts extra?
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on March 2nd 2012, 9:20 pm

Didn't get the sleeper cab. The seller gave me poor directions on where to go, and when I'd say I got lost the directions were changed to include turns that should have been made. This happening several times, I told the seller what I thought of him and where to go. Looks like I'll have to practice on the truck itself unless I can find another really cheap.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on March 8th 2012, 9:02 pm

looks like I'll have another project along with my truck as a friend might be giving me his '86 Mercedes 420SEL with peeling clearcoat and some rear fender rust. It runs but has a tranny leak that hasn't been investigated and a draw on the battery that kills it in a few days of not driving. I know parts are expensive, but once in a while pick n pull has one in it's yard, and they don't care if it's a part from a Yugo or Mercedes, parts pricing is standard per part. Worse comes to worse I could part it out and make a mint. I'd like a budget uber-luxury highway boat though...

As for the truck, I've priced out the materials I need to paint the truck, but I'm waiting for the paint itself to go on sale at Canadian Tire, the Armour Coat brand they sell there is as good as Tremclad but almost half the cost, plus it goes on sale once in a while. For such a large truck with the prospect of a cap or sleeper, I'd better buy more than a gallon though. On that note, the Benz colour is close to a blue that Armour Coat sells, and Canadian Tire sells tintable Tremclad too.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on March 14th 2012, 3:00 pm

Badging and belt-line rubber strips have been removed, just gotta wait for a nice day to use some goo-gone to remove the residue. I've decided that I'm not doing body work other than repairing rust damage, as a work truck, I'd rather have dents and dings that bondo that might crack if it gets banged up, besides, battle scars give trucks character
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on April 2nd 2012, 11:54 pm

I used goo gone to try to remove the glue residue, it worked well where the glue was thin, but where it was very thick it didn't do much. I'll try again, maybe the first application removed enough to make try number 2 work. I'd like to start painting by the end of May, just gotta wait for the frost to lift.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on April 8th 2012, 11:05 pm

Started with the glazing putty today to fill scratches and stone chips. Hopefully I'll get started on the front clip soon. I'm going to have to remove the windshield to get to the rust above it, but good thing is thats the only real non patina rust on the truck. It's cracked anyways, so I'll do the repair and re-install a windshield after.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on April 14th 2012, 8:24 pm

Picked up more supplies today: Body filler was on sale so I picked up a small tub, more glaze putty, a longer sanding block, a lot of wet/dry sand paper, a new flat blade to scrape the remaining decal glue off, rollers and tray. All that's left is paint and mineral spirits, maybe hardener if I can find it here, I'm not driving 3 hours to the city to get it!

My plan is to start on the bedsides, then I'll remove the bed and use bed liner on the forward bed wall. That will also give me access to the back of the cab to paint.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on April 16th 2012, 8:20 pm

Tremclad at Walmart was cheapest, $13 for a quart plus "25% bonus" size, and my wife's employee discount so I got 2 cans. I'm not doing the lower portion of the body, that will be bed liner for durability, so hopefully I'll have enough for the truck and the benz, if not I'll have to get my hands on more before oil based paints are phased out...

Got the mineral spirits too so I'm ready to paint as soon as the body work is done and the bed is removed.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on April 20th 2012, 9:13 pm

All the sticker residue is off now, new headlights and corners, not the turn signals though because the grille is broken there and I don't want to wreck new lights, so they'll go on when I get the new grille. Last of the factory smoked glass is in now too, the rear glass is from an '88 Silverado, door glass from a '95 Tahoe

vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on April 22nd 2012, 5:46 pm

Got the grinder out today to get the chipper areas cleaned up of surface rust and filling in the divots with bondo. I'm not concerning myself with filling dents, they add character, just smoothing out the grinding marks. I'll have to remove the bed to do a good job, so I'll do as much as I can all over the body before I take the box off. There are a few spots that will need welding, but luckily they are all below the line that I've chosen to be covered in bed liner or covered by where the fender flares will be.

I have a week of very nice weather coning up, that and I'm working evenings this week so I can get a bit done every morning.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on April 23rd 2012, 11:32 pm

My income tax return came in, so I treated myself to a new grille. All I need now is rear view mirrors, tail lights and a third brake light (other than actually getting the paint on) and I'll have a very presentable one ton crew cab that will have cost me under $2000 all in.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on April 28th 2012, 8:22 pm

More block sanding, filling in chips and scratches I've missed with glaze putty. There's a few more spots I'll have to clean up rust, and a few small holes to weld up, but those holes are below my "pretty zone" and will be covered by bed liner. I've found that behind the tail lights are actually a bit rotten, so when the rust takes completely over I'll be ditching it for a service body or flatbed.

vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on May 6th 2012, 6:27 pm

Another little speed bump. My two front doors have rot hidden by the weather seal. Of course I notice this after I filled all the scratches and chips, but luckily not before grinding the chips that had rusted. Looks like the only spots I'll be able to work on until I get replacements are the roof, hood, rear doors and under the back window. I have one shot at finding the parts I need, I'm on vacation right now and I'm heading to the city (4 hour drive) tomorrow or tuesday.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on May 8th 2012, 4:42 pm

I came up with a solution for the bed: 5th wheel mounted straight on the frame with aluminum diamond plate along the top between the frame rails, front to back. Back bumper will be a custom made 10-12" flat steel bumper with the tail and signal lights recessed into them. behind the cab will be a headache rack to mount my amber emergency lights and angled on the lower portion to mount the spare tire. Tool boxes will be mounted behind the cab side saddle style.

I picked up a parts truck (well, picking it up on friday) for free, it has a nice smooth front bumper and maybe the front fenders will be usable. It also has nice factory alloy rims in a style that is uncommon, so I'll be selling those. I'll be using the frame and box to turn into a trailer, using my current box. Everything else from that truck will be sold off or sold for scrap metal (hence the trailer to collect scrap in the future).
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on May 8th 2012, 11:13 pm

vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cac1967 on May 9th 2012, 5:13 pm

NICE!!!!!!!!
cac1967
400+ Poster!
400+ Poster!

Number of posts : 562
Job/hobbies : auto parts manager/classic and antique cars
Project : 1964 falcon,1967 mustang fastback
Registration date : 2011-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on May 10th 2012, 9:36 pm

Here's how it sits as of tonight. I decided on a gooseneck instead of fifth wheel because work trailers are much easier to find as gooseneck. I got the plate at the Pick n Pull in Edmonton, I got enough parts to sell locally to pay for the hitch, so it's as though it was free! Polished aluminum fenders will cover the rear wheels, and the frame will be painted at some point.

vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on May 17th 2012, 1:31 am

Here's the truck that will become my trailer, using the 98's bed on the 88's frame. Everything else will be put into boxes if it interchanges on my truck, or sold off for peanuts to pay for my nickle and dime parts that I need myself.

vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on June 17th 2012, 2:02 am

I've been busy with turning the parts truck into a trailer lately when I've been done work, so not much has been done to the '98.

I've bolted the hitch in place and welded fender supports to it. The aluminum fenders look great on it but they flex with the wing, so I'll have to add forward supports to keep the tires from rubbing. I've made a new back bumper from 6" channel steel and mounted oval LED turn/brake lights to it.

Since the spare tire support is now hidden by the bumper, the winch will have to be cranked from above, so rather than bolt the aluminum plate above the frame rails like I planned, it will be hinged on the hitch and will utilize shocks like in minivan hatches to keep it in the open position, and hood pins in existing frame holes to keep it closed.

The front near the cab will have a headache rack that I'll be building to mount hazard lights and a strong winch to pull disabled vehicles onto a trailer.

I also got a nice stainless steel Magnaflow XL series muffler at the pick n pull, it sounds awesome, very mellow and not at all obnoxious, but leaves no room for mistaking this for anything but a throaty V8.

Back on topic about paint and prep, I found and picked up a near perfect passenger side fender with zero rust and one small dent. That fender, since it's already removed will be my paint tester. Still need both front doors though, and I'm keeping an eye out on a used cowl hood.
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on June 17th 2012, 7:54 pm

pics of the bumper and fenders
vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vervepipes on June 30th 2012, 7:57 pm

Paint is finally rolling! I'm painting one fender that has been removed, then after I'm done I'll paint the hood while it's on the truck, then put this fender on and remove the other to paint (the hood hinges bolt to the fenders, since I have a straight rust free fender that I bought, I figured I could do a better job with the fenders removed)

Once the front clip it done, the doors will come off one side at a time so that I can do the door jambs and box line the rocker panels, as well as box line the back side lower part of the doors. Once THATS done I'll get to the rear wall and eventually the roof (I need the windshield removed for that one since there is a tiny bit of rust to be fixed). It's all coming together, I was waiting to find rust free front doors but they are easy enough to just do after the rest.

vervepipes
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next