I've got a few quick questions, please help...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I've got a few quick questions, please help...

Post by Qwik96 on February 27th 2012, 11:17 pm

I'll be spraying my '96 Stang GT in March & I have a few questions for someone who is knowledgeable at this! I'm fairly new to spraying & I want this to look good! Thanks in advance folks!!!

1). When I sand my original paint to prep for spraying it black do I wet sand it or dry sand it & what grit should I use?
2). Do I need to wet sand after every 2 coats I spray on or just after my final coat? What paint to mineral spirits mix do I use for best results?
3). Once I do spray my final coat how long do I need to wait before I wet sand & polish/buff it with the Meguire's Ultimate Compound then add a nice coat of wax?
4). Will a gravity fed paint sprayer kit from Walmart or Lowe's be sufficient enough for the spray job?
5). Do I need a clear coat or will a good wax after I've completed everything else be sufficient? If I need a clear coat, what is the best to spray over the rustoleum oil based paint & how much would I need?

These are really my only questions I have & I may have over read & not saw it, but that's it!

Last edited by Qwik96 on February 28th 2012, 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Qwik96
Rank
Rank

Number of posts : 64
Job/hobbies : Towboat Pilot, I hunt religiously, love working on cars & spending time with my wife & kids!!!
Project : 1996 Mustang GT Vert (mine), 1995 Mustang GT 5.0 (wife's)
Registration date : 2012-02-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I've got a few quick questions, please help...

Post by Qwik96 on February 28th 2012, 2:25 pm

No answers???
Qwik96
Rank
Rank

Job/hobbies : Towboat Pilot, I hunt religiously, love working on cars & spending time with my wife & kids!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 63Falconconvert on February 28th 2012, 2:46 pm

as they say "there is more then 1 way to skin a cat" so I'll tell you what I do, it may not be what the next guy would do but since I have been painting since 1988 I do know a little......

1) I would wipe the entire car down with enamel reducer to remove all of the grease and wax. When it looks clean do it again. Ground in wax and grease will KILL your new paint job.
Get yourself some different length sanding boards and blocks and start block sanding your original paint with 120 grit, if your paint is loaded with chips then start with 80 dry sand. Then sand with 200 and then 320. wipe down with enamel reducer and now you're ready to prime.

2) if you're spraying then wet sand after your final coat. I would use enamel reducer and a hardener if you're spraying.

3) I would wait a week before you wetsand and buff. If you can get the car in that hot Texas sun for a week then thats even better. 2 months before you wax.

4) check the specs on the gun, tip size is important.

5)Clear coat is used when painting with a metalic color. Your using a solid color so you don't need to clear it.

If this is the first time you have sprayed then get your self a practice piece like an old hood and PRACTICE. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Things that will cause you to lay awake at night: temperature, himidity, water in your air line, using the right temp reducer, dust, bugs, orange peel, air pressure, runs, sags, bad body work, a yelling wife....you get the point.

We are here to help so take your time, ask questions.

Hope this helps

Bob

63Falconconvert
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1275
Job/hobbies : Sales welding supplies
Project : 1963 Falcon Convertible
Registration date : 2009-04-06

View user profile https://bobs1963fordfalconconvertible.jimdo.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Qwik96 on February 28th 2012, 3:27 pm

Cool Bob, thanks! Yeah I'm fairly new to spraying as I've only done it once before with decent results, but it was with Paint Shop paint I ordered from summit racing! Anyways, I've seen & been told that I need to only use 320 grit on my car as the original paint is still in great shape. That's what my main concern was on the prep work! I've heard mixed talk about using a hardener, not using a hardener, etc... The mixture is what I'm in the dark on... The gun I'm using has a 1.4 tip size so it should be good to go! I have an older gas grill that could use a hefty coat of paint so I'll practice on that first, lol. If you can let me know the appropriate enamel reducer/hardener/glass black paint mixture I'd sure appreciate it! Thanks again for your help!

Frank
Qwik96
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 3rd 2012, 12:01 am

Bob does know what he is talking about. I agree with EVERYTHING he said.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Qwik96 on March 3rd 2012, 12:47 am

Yep, I've got my game plan down & I will follow his advise almost to a T, lol! Thank you guys!
Qwik96
Rank
Rank

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by retired plumber on March 4th 2012, 2:48 pm

I would mix the paint and hardener according to directions and then reduce to 3 paint/hardener to 1 reducer as a starter. you can add more reducer from there if you think you need to.
Mike
retired plumber
1000+ Poster
1000+ Poster

Number of posts : 1004
Job/hobbies : retired honey does and the occasional custom car (old school)
Project : figuring out how to do metalflake
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://glasaholic.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top